Growing a Garden
How does your garden grow? Watch it sprout... underground!
You will need:
- Milk or juice carton (large one, 1.75 L) - Scissors
- Plastic to serve as windows (2 pieces, - Potting soil
plexiglass or any other hard plastic) - Carrot seeds
- Tacky glue - 2 sticky notes
- Duct tape - Notebook
- Start off by rinsing out your empty milk or juice carton. Then cut the top off the carton.
- Take your scissors and cut down the front of the carton (don’t cut all the way to the bottom, leave about 3-4 inches at the bottom), across the bottom and back up. Do the same thing on the back of the carton. These will be your windows.
- Take your clear plastic and measure it against the carton to see how big to cut it to make the windows.
- Cut it to the proper size. Do that again for the other window.
- Add the glue to the plastic windows and glue one on each side, on the inside of the carton. Add duct tape to the seams of the window so they stay in place.
- Add the potting soil to your carton and fill it almost to the top of the carton.
- Plant two or three seeds in your carton. Put the seeds about 1/4 inch away from the window and 1/4 inch deep into the soil.
- Put a sticky note on each window, at the top to give the seed and the roots some darkness to help them grow.
- Add water to your soil.
- Water your carrots every day and keep your carton in a sunny spot. The sticky notes can be removed after about a week.
© 2020 Nature Alberta
Nature Alberta is incorporated as the Federation of Alberta Naturalists under the Alberta Societies Act and is a registered charitable organization.