Winter Bug Count at the Edmonton Valley Zoo
Saturday, February 11 from 1 - 3 PM
Who: Join Nature Alberta and the Edmonton Valley Zoo to contribute to the Winter Bug Count. You don't need to be an expert at identifying bugs, you just need to have a sense of curiosity! John and Benny Acorn will be volunteering with us and helping identify bugs that we find.
What: Volunteers will
- start the shift with a volunteer safety meeting,
- get a backstage tour of the Northern Leopard Frogs' enclosure,
- search for bugs outside of the frog enclosure and around the zoo to add our observations to the iNaturalist Winter Bug Count project,
- receive free Zoo admission.
When: Saturday, February 11 from 1-3 PM. Volunteer orientation meeting will start right at 1 PM so plan to arrive early to allow time to walk to the meeting location.
Where: Edmonton Valley Zoo, 13315 Buena Vista Road, Edmonton, Alberta
How: Email Steph at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to volunteer!
- Dress for the weather. If it is -20C or below, the event will run with more time spent at the indoor locations throughout the zoo
- Bring a backpack with water, and snacks
- Optional: your favourite bug catching containers and bug identification guide
- Optional: download iNaturalist to your smartphone or tablet prior to the event, and set up an account. Practice by searching for and documenting a bug in your basement, garage, or shed! Click here to follow simple steps to get started. The Zoo has open WIFI for your device.
- Nature Alberta will provide extra bug containers